Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Nasty Secret #2

In case you are wondering what other surprises our new apartment might posses here are a few more! Well the day after we moved in, we woke up in the morning and the fridge had never gotten cold. So all of our frozen stuff was thawed. Bad sign. So we go down and tell the landlord and they just keep saying that it worked before and we must not have done something right. I know I'm no rocket scientist, but I don't think you can really screw up plugging in a fridge and turning the dial inside to cold. But they had to come up and check it out and then he kept trying to tell me that the air blowing out was cold. Hmmm...tell that to my thawed chicken I thought. So then she says, that we should put a cup of water in the freezer over night and we will see if it freezes. Okay, whatever. In the meantime, she says, "you can just put your meats and things in the bedroom closet. It will stay cold there. You put old blanket that you no like over the top and leave in closet. I do all the time. It stay cold, no problem." So apparently our closet is like a meat locker because it is so cold! Good to know. The next day she comes to check the room temperature water and sees that it's not frozen. Big surprise. I am then expecting her to say, "okay, we will have to get a new fridge while you are gone to Utah." Instead she says, "So what are we going to do?" I said, "I don't know?" She then proceeded to tell me that they didn't rent this apartment to us "furnished," and that the only reason the fridge had been up here anyway was because she didn't need it. What?? Since when is having a fridge included a furnished apartment?! So it came down to either we could pay them $50 more every month forever more or we could buy a new fridge ourselves. Great, just what we need, a fridge to lug around with us. Long story short, they bought the fridge while we were in Utah even though we were going to buy one and then tried to raise our rent. But we said we would just pay them for the fridge. The ironic part is that I think in their minds, when we leave, they think we should leave the fridge too. FAT CHANCE!!!

3 comments:

Give Mease a chance said...

What kind of developing country are you living in? Honestly, your stories make me scared to move...or even to leave the house. Oliver is really cute though. If you don't want to move the fridge when you move I bet you can sell it on craigslist.org.

Sarah said...

(sigh) I just don't know what to say anymore. It IS hard to believe you are living in America......

Captain Lee "Tiberius" Wade said...

You know... It's 75 degrees in January in Mississippi. They gotz SyKology Ph.D degreez dare too! http://www.usm.edu/