Thursday, January 17, 2008

Brrrr.....it's gettin' cold in here!




So here is our wonderful new apartment's nasty secret pictured above. Looks like a a crazy old kitchen stove right? Innocent enough. Until you realize that, that machine is our only heat source in the whole apartment! What you may ask? Surely it is not so. Oh yes, I sadly say yes it is my friends.
That is what I refer to as a glorified space heater. In fact if you just turned to oven on and opened the door to it, it would probably put out as much heat as our "heater." It has no fan, it just has the slots the let out hot air. It's settings are LOW, MED, and HIGH. No wasted time on temperatures, not that it would matter since it only cranks out enough heat to barely warm the room it's in let alone the rest of the house. And that is all.
So it's freezing in our house. FREEZING!!! Well except when standing by the heater itself. When we looked at the apartment to rent, I saw that this was the heat, and being concerned, I asked the land lady (who lives downstairs) if it would heat the house up with just that. She said yes. She lived downstairs and so I believed here since Zack and I had never seen this type of heating system for a whole house, I thought it must work or how would they rent the place out? That is where my thinking was flawed.
After moving in, and going into the land ladies apartment downstairs, it became quickly evident how one could live with only that as a heat source. Naturally you just move your couch, TV, kitchen table, bed, what have you into that one room, and shut all the doors to the other rooms. Then you stay in there all winter and never use the rest of your house. She and her husband basically just live in that one room and then at night they just open up the door to their bedroom and sleep in there. Voila. In fact when we moved in and they came upstairs to our apartment they both on seperate occassions said, "oh no, you can't use those rooms (meaning the living room) it's too cold, it will cost too much." And then she told me, "I just shut all the rooms from November to May, and then in the summer you can use them." Hmmm.....so basically they thought we were crazy that we wanted to use more of the apartment than just one room. Are we the crazy ones? I guess we are.
So imagine trying to keep a 17 month old baby in one room all day long. I tried, it didn't work, he was going crazy.
So we don't know what we are going to do? Any suggestions?
Since we have been home from Utah, we bought 2 space heaters, but they only take the chill off unless it's sunny outside. And we can't run them both together since it's too much power. The joys of an old house!
I think we are going to have to find a super space heater and hope it doesn't cost us a fortune in electric bills. Otherwise, there may just be an apt. #4 on the horizon!

8 comments:

chloe said...

So glad you are telling stories again!!!

So sorry you're freezing your arse off.

Sarah said...

I don't even know what to say. Except- good for you guys for returning from Utah. I would've probably gone right back!

Sarah said...

Oh yeah, I love that attractive flooring! :)

Zack, Shannon and Oliver said...

I wish we would stop having such annoying stories!! Apparently Worcester has a death warrant out for us! And secretly Zack and I were both hoping that there would be a huge storm so we couldn't take our return flight home. Dang, didn't happen. I think Zack was actually hoping he would get a notice that he was kicked out of school so that we could just be done with MA. Oh well, we press on.

Captain Lee "Tiberius" Wade said...

I've got the cure:
http://www.usm.edu/psy/dept/graduate_programs.htm

Sarah said...

If you found a heater that equaled your super powered fan, you'd be in luck!

KT said...

Sounds remeniscent of my days in Paraguay. I don't know you could experience it here! We used our propane oven with the door open to heat us up (later found out that is really dangerous) lucky for us though we only had two months of real cold. No like MA! I don't know how you are doing it! It will be really fun to tell the kids someday!
Kristin

Zack, Shannon and Oliver said...

I wish Zack would go for Lee's cure!! It's true that our "Wind Machine" fan is about as powerful as you can legally get, now we need to find it's match in the heater department!!