Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Disturbing?

So I was reading my Parents magazine last night like a good new parent (Which actually probably isn't a good thing because it gives you a whole new set of issues to worry about that you had never thought of before with each monthly copy!)and anyway, there was an article in it about nursing in public. I have no problem with nursing in public, I had to do it for 8 months when we went out, and agreed with the article that there is basically nowhere to nurse while in most public places except your occasional department store bathroom, but what I read disturbed even me. They had people write in their stories or comments on it under "Breastfeeding Confessions." So one lady from Massachusetts said,"Sometimes I'm so busy I feed my daughter while I'm going to the bathroom." EWWWWWWW........Are you serious??? Okay, I can see having to feed her in the bathroom, possibly even sitting on the toilet (lid down of course), but.....Can you really be THAT busy? There is no other time? I mean really? The poor child. I'm sorry but that is just gross to me! Is that even sanitary? I'm frightened, we are moving to Massachusetts in a month and she could be our neighbor!!

6 comments:

Cristin said...

My question would be how long that woman is sitting on the toilet. I mean, Luke is fast, and he still takes like 6 or 7 minutes. Is that woman sitting on the toilet for 20 minutes or something? Wow, that takes multi-tasking to a whole new level.

chloe said...

in other countries...someone I know offered to breastfeed my nephew when she was watching him.

And, on the whole public thing, please just tell me you put a blanket over you. I mean, I'm sure it's difficult to find places to breastfeed. I'm sure it's not super convenient to pull a blanket out, but for the love of those of us who are single and aren't accustomed to breasts in public, it would be nice.

Zack, Shannon and Oliver said...

Of course I always did. But in this article they followed one girl all day and I don't think she did anywhere she went: book store, shoe store, yoga class, park, etc...
I agree, blankets or something are a must. No one wants to get flashed.

chloe said...

I figured as much, but just thought I'd put in my two cents. :-)

Sarah said...

Ok, will you totally quit being my friend if I told you that I've done this?? I'm a multi-tasker, what can I say... But on our recent trip, I had to feed her, but had to pee... and it was a tiny bathroom at a McD's so I wanted out quickly.... I'm not saying I enjoyed it, it was awkward, but at the moment it was the most productive thing I could come up with. See, I'd rather do that then breastfeed in public- even with a blanket drapped over me. Ok, I confessed.....no one hate me..... :)

Zack, Shannon and Oliver said...

Don't worry Sarah, we can still be friends! I guess desperate times call for desperate measures. I think the lady in the article is disturbing mostly because it made it sound like it was a regular event.