Tuesday, August 28, 2007

An innocent trip to the Library

Who knew that going to the library could be such and ordeal? First of all it took Zack and I 2 trips into the heart of the city to figure out how to get to the library in the first place, but then once we had entered, all heck broke loose!! I'm sure the expression "like a kid in a candy store" would be a perfect fitting here. Oliver was going crrazzzzyyy!! It was like and endless sea of shelves with things on them that he could pull off, rip, or destroy. I could hardly contain him! He was just freaking out, running from shelf to shelf ripping book, videos, cds off the shelves. Meanwhile I am chasing him, trying to place all the said thrown items back in their spots. It was ugly. I could feel the "tisk, tisk, tisking" of all those people that thought I should be able to control my child. But he got me on a sneak attack! The boy went nuts! All I wanted to do was get a book to read and maybe a DVD to watch. Was that so much to ask? Apparently it was/is. And he is getting so wiggly that it's nearly impossible to hold him when he REALLY wants to get down. And then there is the high pitch screaming when I pick him up and tell him he can't touch something. Heads are turning, jaws may be dropping, little old ladies hearing aids are seering. Needless to say, from now on I will be choosing the book I want to read before entering the library doors, so I can go right to it quickly (no more browsing for me) and then getting out while I have Oliver neatly strapped in his stroller for the duration of the trip. Think it will work? Probably not, but it's worth a try, a mom can dream. I will think twice about ever judging a Mother of a screaming wild child again. I think I walked a mile in her shoes the other day!

2 comments:

Megan and John said...

I'm glad that Daniel isn't the only crazy and out-of-control child in the library. Daniel can't get enough of all the books! I found that I could browse if I let him play with those little rolling steps that they have? Yeah, I just let Daniel charge ahead with that weapon and I have at least two or three minutes to quickly scan the aisles of books. Granted, the weapon has been known to ram into more than one Grandma, but tough luck. "Get out of the way, Grandma!" But no, the shrieking will never step. It's like one non-stop roller coaster for these little guys!

Jenn said...

SHANNON--where are you?? I'm dying to know of your latest adventures...have you found a new apartment yet??