Friday, March 11, 2011

Calories thy name is LIFE RUINER!

This is what I wish I could be doing instead of working out! Don't you love that robe?
I wish I looked this cute while working out with my head phone on!

So I realize that I have been extremely lucky to have had 26-30 years of virtually care free eating and movement, but then all the sudden a few years later and 2 kids the wiser and my body is not being so forgiving as it once was. SIGH. So I have had to start exercising *GASP* and looking at just how many calories things contain. Even Bigger GASP! Are you people aware of how many calories things contain??? What the WHAT???? (Ok, probably you are, I have just been clueless and maybe in just a little bit of denial.) Zack has seriously become a huge downer for me in this area, always telling me how many calories things have in them. I mean I love him, but couldn't he have let me live in my ignorance? (I know he's just doing it out of love, and to be that slap in the face when I need it! Which is a good thing. ha, ha) That is what indifference has given me......a seriously RUDE awakening! Now I find myself thinking things like, "hmmmm.....those 4 pieces of licorice is like 15 min. on the elliptical." UGH......that's just ludicrous! 4 pieces of licorice! So wrong. So rude. So not fair.
Did you know that like 2 TBSP. of Peanut Butter is almost 200 calories?! That 1/4 cup of M & M's is 210 calories?! That's like 20 some minutes of exercise. All that work for one little handful of M &M's? Oh man. Cutting calories is not going to be easy.

But cutting calories is only half of my problem. For any of you that have lived with me, you know that I don't like to exercise. I mean really dislike it. I laughed in it's face for years! Now who's laughing? Not me as I lace up to get on the elliptical. It's so hard not to put it off. Trust me, I try. "I'll do it at nap time.......I'll do it after dinner.....I'll do it after we put the kids to bed....." but then I go to grab that piece of licorice and sigh, "I'm going, I'm going."

What are the chances that I'm going to start enjoying working out? Good? Maybe? I hope so. Because let's face it, I like eating too much to give it up! Just not going to happen. So hears to hoping that it starts to get a bit easier! So far I am doing 3 miles on the elliptical per session. I thought that was pretty good for a start 3 times a week? I don't know.....it's something. Ok, that's probably nothing to all you awesome marathon runners and what not, but.....you have to start somewhere right?! Wish me luck!!!

5 comments:

Megan and John said...

loved your post. love your kids. they look so much like you and zack. it makes me smile. what must it feel like to have a child that actually looks like you? :)

good luck with this exercise business. it's a sad day when my skinny friends are forced to work out. i should join you. but i like my licorice way too much...

when will you guys be in utah again?? john and i are contemplating a trip down there sometime in the future.

Greg said...

Sweet picture of DJ Ruby.

Jenn said...

Ahh yes, it is a sad day when you are forced to think about the calories in junk food. Licorice and chocolate -- why?!?! I commend you on your exercise efforts! I have been in a bit of a slump lately.

Good luck and keep us posted! By the way, your new blog post didn't show up in the blogs I follow. I just happened to click on your blog (gasp). Wonder what's up with that.

Amber said...

Aww, Shannon, I've never counted calories!! I'm totally with you: I could never give up food! I love it too much! I'm totally wanting to get some exercise in...but man I never wanna count calories. I exercise so that I CAN eat what I want.

llcall said...

200 calories in a few M&Ms -- SHUT UP! I too hate exercise, but I also have a love/hate relationship with food. So I'll probably give up food before I take up exercise. Good luck to you though!!