Saturday, September 13, 2008

Welcome to Mass



Any time you go to the DMV, you now you are in for a real treat. Either you get to wait for a long time for them to call your number, or you don't have the right stuff with you so you have to come back and do it all over again, or they charge you an arm and a leg for some stupid paper which in turn totally kills your day, or if you're really lucky, they do all three. There are so many things that can happen, but none of them are really good. I went to the DMV on Friday because I finally broke down and got a MA driver's license. I had been avoiding this for the past year I think secretly in hopes that we would somehow not be staying here and so I wouldn't really need one. But after a year, our car insurance wouldn't renew if we didn't get MA licenses. UGH. Sigh. I guess we're staying. But I had low expectations since I have already been there about 5 times since we've moved here for various things so I was prepared for the line, I had looked at the list of needed items again and again to ensure that I would have all the right things. I was prepared.
I got my number, I waited, and waited, and waited. Over and hour I waited. Then Happy Day! They finally called my number. I quickly collected our things and was dragging Oliver at a clipping pace behind me to get to the window on the opposite side of the building. I walk up and the woman in the picture above greeted me by asking what my number was. I said, "206."
This is our conversation:
WOMAN: I don't know what you've been doing lady, but I've already called the next number.
ME: Excuse me?

WOMAN: I called your number 3 times and you were too slow, so I called the next number, you need to pay attention.

ME: What??? (It seriously took me less than 2 min. to get over to this window.) Well I was on the other side of the building and I have a toddler, so I walked over here as fast as I could. (Meaning I dragged my 2 year old behind me as fast as I could.)

WOMAN: Well I already called the next number so you're too late.

ME: ARGGGHHHHH!!!!! You are kidding me. (I'm thinking I'm going to have to get another number and wait all over again.)

WOMAN: Just wait over there until I help the next person and then I can help you

ME: (Thinking to myself, why didn't you just say that in the 1st place?) OK.

She helps the next person. I wait there fuming.

WOMAN: Ok, come on.

I give her all necessary documents, without talking to her since I am still fuming. I take the vision test. I can barely smile in the picture because I'm still urked.

WOMAN: That'll be $90.

What the? $90? Just to transfer over a license? This is highway robbery. But I write out a check for $90 and give it to her.

WOMAN: (Imagine her speaking in a totally monotone voice without even looking up at me.) You will get you license in the mail in 10 to 14 days. Here is a temp. Sorry about before, welcome to Mass.

ME: Thanks. (I can feel the love already lady.)

The End. Couldn't be more pleasant! Really rolled out the red carpet for me lady!

6 comments:

Cristin said...

YOu should have gotten special treatment just for bring a toddler to the DMV. You're brave.

Greg said...

Wow, it wasn't even that bad for us to get our licenses in downtown Chicago. Makes you wonder what the customer service training sessions are like. Next time put on your roller-blades so you can just skate over to the window in plenty of time.

Zack, Shannon and Oliver said...

the ironic part is that there is a sign where you get your number that lists the things that you are "guaranteed" there and I believe one of them was friendly service. I was going to point that out, but then I didn't want there to suddenly be a "problem" and me not be able to get my license.

Jenn said...

Ha ha--wow, I was surprised she even threw in the "sorry" at the end. I guess that's where the guaranteed friendly service came in. "Welcome to Mass"--that says it all, right? :)

Sarah said...

Ok, you must have some bad karma, bad energy, something that just follows you around... your stories NEVER cease to amaze me. And I always feel SO badly for you! Gosh!! I have no words but to just shake my head in amazement of your crazy town!!

Give Mease a chance said...

"highway" robbery at the DMV! haha that kills me!