Wednesday, September 10, 2008

On My Mind

First thing on my mind was that I have never seen anyone take a leaf blower to their entire lawn after they have cut their grass. Sure I've seen it when it's fall and the leaves have all fallen off the trees, but this was certainly not the case. They guy across the street from us (in all his shirtless, tattooed, beer bellied glory) was literally blowing his whole lawn. I guess to free it from the haircut he had just given the grass. Of course all those clippings are now still on the sidewalk right next to our car. Yeah, that looks much better! Which brings me to the second thing on my mind.

2. The junk the people that moved out of that apartment left on the sidewalk which is now stylishly adorned with the grass clippings, also next to our car. Why do people do that? Why do you put out junk that no one would ever want as if you are offering good free stuff. It's total junk and it's broken. And again we have to park by it and look at it from our windows. If you have good stuff, sure- put it out there, it will be gone in a heartbeat, but junk, well that's just rude. Besides, I'm tired of looking at it.

3. Is it ever appropriate to ask someone if they are growing a gut? I think not. Zack had someone ask him this the other day and both of us just thought there is no conceivable reason that you should ever say this to anyone. Luckily we both know that Zack does not have a gut, nor is he attempting to grow one and we also know the person that asked him this while he may have been serious, it just extremely rude. (Wasn't his first rude comment and I'm sure won't be his last.) I told Zack he should have asked if said person was looking for some competition?

4. Is it disturbing to anyone else when you see an older woman shopping in the underwear section?? I don't know why, but it just seems like they should be sticking to the granny underwear at that age. Nothing lacy, leopard, or with floss should be in their hands and/or shopping cart if you catch my drift.

5. At the library yesterday I witnessed many strange and sad things. Most exciting was that a security alarm went off and they didn't know why and everyone had to evacuate. I never found out what it was. I was hoping it was a bomb or something since I was standing near the windows. I also witnessed a woman or girl rather asking another girl if she had some deodorant and the other girl pulling out a stick and giving it to the first girl who then proceeded to raise her arms above her head and put it on in front of everyone evacuated outside the library. She could have at least gone around the corner or tried to be a little discrete. I wish I could say "kids these days" but I doubt she was much younger than I am. But my favorite library moment was two moms who were both yelling at their kids and being really ugly and mean to them. And in the same breath one of them turned around to a little girl playing with a puzzle and so sweetly talked to her and helped her. It was like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. I thought, "boy, you should try and be that nice to your own kids!!" I felt sad for their kids, and there were a lot of them. And then I wondered why people like that keep having kids when they clearly just treat them like they are a huge burden and annoyance. Probably to get back at their cheating boyfriends that they still love. I have one word: Adoption.

6. Should I be trying to potty train Oliver?? And at what point should I put him a toddler bed? Soon? Later? I guess I better start investigating into some of these issues.

Just some random thoughts.

6 comments:

Cristin said...

Timing the potty training thing is a mystery to me too. Let me know when you figure that one out.

KT said...

so true so true. You brought up some very valid points. As far as potty training, I am the one who tries to put it off until it is a priority--like Chloe couldn't go to preschool unless she was potty trained. This is what motivated me for Caleb as well. Blessed preschool. As far as a toddler bed, if Oliver is fine staying in the crib and doesn't get out by himself, don't put yourself through retraining him to sleep on his own in a rail free bed that encourages getting up and playing at all times in the night :). At least that is my take on things!

Jenn said...

Ha ha! Loved this post--so funny! Wow--that darn Craziville. Keep 'em coming! :)

As for toddler bed/toilet training--I've been thinking about this, too. My brother said they start potty training their kids (they read this somewhere) as soon as they can understand "Bring me a diaper" and they do it. We passed that point a long time ago...but I have NO clue how to even begin. I guess I just need to do some research.

For the bed...I am planning on waiting as long as possible. I think it would be a hard thing for us both to get used to. Let me know what you do!

chloe said...

I'm coming to Boston for Halloween! I'll be there Friday and Saturday! Come see me!!!

Unknown said...

Well, missy...what you saw was a real man with tattoos and a full figure! I ain't shamed of that. No way, no how. I don't mind giving the ladies in the neighborhood a bit of eye-candy from time to time while stewarding my lawn! Yeah, buddy! Sounds like you're in denial about your hubby's own gut! Be proud! I am of mine!

BTW, I really feel that it is of utmost urgency to get your child potty-trained. The misses and I found this site very helpful:

www.mayoclinic.com/health/potty-training/CC00060 - 31k -

Good luck and remember, "it's okay to look!"

Megan and John said...

man, there is never a dull moment in your life... interesting points made!

so, potty training-- i have the oldest kid among us, so i should be on the ball, but i can tell daniel is not ready. i don't want him to be smearing poop all over the walls (that is my vision of potty training, by the way...) i think that you'll know. oliver seems like a smart cookie, so maybe he'll surprise you.

toddler bed-- daniel has been in one since he was two. we got him a big boy comforter and it's been great. he sleeps on a twin mattress on the ground (kind of like my mission in a third world country, actually!) and is usually good at staying down. rachel still isn't in the crib, so if daniel is struggling in the twin (ie, jumping up and down all night) we move him to the crib.

isn't parenting fun?? :)