Thursday, February 14, 2013

Happy Valentine's Day!!

                    Pinned Image

There's a little Valentine eye candy for you!  Mmmmm.....that's what we were enjoying here at casa crazy this evening!  Oh yeah, that's Chocolate Oreo Cake!  You can find the recipe here  or on my pinterest page. This isn't my picture, it's the one from the recipe site mostly because I'm not that awesome of a food photographer.  But trust you me, it was equally pretty and tasty.  I did little personal size heart cakes minus the frosting because I didn't think we really needed it after tasting the filling.  They were delicious!  I think when I make it again someday I will just use the filling as frosting on a regular cake.
Anywho....give it a go, it's delicious and easy, it's a win, win.

I have always loved Valentine's day thanks to my mother.  We didn't have many traditions growing up, but one of them was Valentine's day fancy family dinner.  My mom would make a nice dinner and put out her china and the crystal goblets and candles and we would have a fancy dinner.  It was always fun and special.  And I always thought it was cool as a kid that there were little bowls on the table with CANDY in them.  That we could eat during dinner!!!  What?  As a kid that equals AWESOME.
And my friends were often jealous that we always got a little gift of some kind from my mom as well.  So you can see why I was never bummed like other girls when they didn't have a boyfriend giving them flowers or something.  I could never understand why people found Valentine's day depressing, I always thought it was fun.
So in some ways we are trying to keep that tradition alive, we aren't going with the china and crystal yet since we have small children and that would spell disaster, but we did make our before mentioned special treat and had a nice dinner and presents were presented.  Children cheered and all went to bed happy.  I think combined with Oliver's school party it was mentioned a dozen times by him that it was "the BEST day!"  Oh, plus they got MAIL!  Valentine cards in the mail for Oliver and Ruby from Grammie and Grandpa!

All in all a pretty great day!
Hope you all had an amazing Valentine's day full of LOVE!

2 comments:

Greg said...

That is one of my favorite traditions growing up as well. For some reason the thing I remember most is the Cherry 7-Up. It was red and went with the colors on the table. It seems like we usually had Mom's party chicken to go with it. Thanks for reminding me of those fun days!

Jenn said...

Ooh that sounds fun! I think I will try a special family dinner next year. Thanks for the idea!