Sunday, February 24, 2013

A Few More Recipe Reviews

I've sort of been on a new recipe trying kick the past 2 weeks.  Well maybe the last month.  I am always collecting new recipes to try from magazines and online of course, I love trying new things.  I may not have "binders full of women," but I do have binders full of recipes!  ha, ha.  And I think I have been on a kick lately because well, life is a little slow around our house lately.  I mean it's cold outside, it's the post holiday blahs and well nothing except the regular chaos is really happening.  In a nutshell, I'm bored.  So what more to cure my boredom than to try something new right?
And since I always like to find new recipes or hear how something really turned out, I thought I would share a few of the ones we have done lately.  So, here goes.......

(picture and recipe from HERE)
I actually tried this one tonight.  It was a lighter version of take out Sesame Chicken.  I'm not going to lie, the pictures that I saw of this looked delicious, but mine did not look nearly as appetizing.  Not that it looked gross mind you, but it just did look as crunchy and tasty.  All in all I would give this recipe an OK on it's rating.  I didn't really love it, but Zack said he thought it tasted good.  Maybe I was hung up on the pictures I had seen and thought it was really going to taste like take out Sesame Chicken, I don't know, but it didn't have too much flavor in my opinion.  Just kind of so-so.  So  I don't think this one will be making it's way to the "Keep" binder.

Next up I made THIS tasty number a few nights ago:

Braided Spaghetti Bread (picture also from link above).
I mean seriously?  Need I really say more than the name of this dish?  It was tasty, and I'm sure in no way healthy for you, but oh so tasty.  It's basically like eating spaghetti rolled inside garlic bread.  Mmmmm.....
Zack and I enjoyed it's tastiness for a few days after.  (Ha, ha, I got the last piece for my lunch!!!)  Now, next time I do this recipe I will however change a few things.  It calls for pre-made bottled spaghetti sauce.  I don't ever buy this stuff because when I make spaghetti I just make it from scratch because I don't like bottled stuff and that's how my mom always made it growing up.  Bottled stuff always has sugar in it and tastes too sweet to me.  Anyway, I just followed the recipe, but next time I will just make my own sauce.  And I added ground turkey and used 1/2 the cheese because it was A LOT of cheese inside.  Other than that, we thought it was great!  2 enthusiastic thumbs up!

Okay, so to make up for the last calorie heavy one, I tried a healthy one:

Picture from and recipe HERE
Healthy Mexican Sweet Potato Skins.  Well, they were healthy tasting.  And we all know what that means.  No, I'm kidding, they were ok, I mean they weren't bad, but they did dirty a lot of dishes for what seemed to be a little result.  This may be one for the future when the kids will actually eat it and I don't have to make them AND something for the kids.  So I'd say, if you like healthy, then you will probably really like this recipe.
Okay, one last one.....to end on a good note.....

Pork Ramen Soup
Pork Ramen Soup from HERE
This was YUMMY!  Super tasty.  EVERYONE loved it!  And that is saying something with 2 picky kids!  So thumbs up to this one.  I will definitely be making this again!  Try it, you'll like it!

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Ooooh...thanks for this! I'm always looking for new recipes. I needed a dinner for guests tomorrow night, and that spaghetti bread one looks like the winner! YUM!