Wednesday, September 7, 2011

First Day of School and Update!

Yesterday was Oliver's first day of School! I can't believe he's old enough to start kindergarten! When did he get so big? This wasn't the greatest picture, but in true family fashion we were of course running late and were hustling to get us all in the car so we didn't miss the first day of school! (Trying to start the year out right you see....) So far we haven't gotten to much out of him about how it was, Oliver is not a sharing kind when it comes to things like this, he likes to keep some things to himself. SIGH....parents want to know everything, doesn't he get that?! Anyway, he said he didn't think he was actually at school for 6 hours, he said it seemed shorter, so I guessed from that that it must have been okay! But I did get a big hug when I picked him up and he continued to hug my leg the whole way to the car. So I guess it was fun, but familiar is always good too! ha, ha.
Also yesterday we got 2 packages for Ruby's birthday. One from each grandparent! My parents sent her a little set of stroller, baby swing, and crib for dolls (or stuffed animals!) and Zack's parents sent some stuffed animals for each of the kids. All the gifts were well loved and played with immediately as you can see from this picture. A perfect gift pair! Even Oliver thought the doll stuff was pretty cool and wanted to play with it too. Thanks grandparents!!
Also, this weekend (Labor Day) we went with our ward on a camp out to Camp Joseph in Vermont. It is right next to the birth place of Joseph Smith. Above is a picture of the Monument.
Surprisingly and thankfully both the kids had a blast camping and both slept really well. I was really worried about that before heading out. Plus it is a 3 hr. drive to get there, but the kids did great!
We don't actually have a tent, so we opted for the luxurious cabin option. Don't get to excited, it's just big enough to fit 2 bunkbeds and a folding chair in between! No big, but it did the job. The pack and play fit just between the beds so we were all snug in there like little bugs.
Oliver was always looking for the perfect marshmallow stick for roasting and he and the other kids had fun, and A LOT of sugar! We camped 2 nights and 3 days and had a blast. It was fun to spend time with some people in the ward and also the camp was really beautiful. We didn't get to many pictures, I kept forgetting to carry around the camera with me. Oh well. On Sat. afternoon they put out a huge slip and slide for everyone to dive down. Oliver actually went on it! He's kind of wimp in that department, so I was surprised to look over from the playground to see him going down! He went down several times and thought it was a total blast! If it had been warmer, I may have gone myself! It was tempting! ;)
Also last week was Ruby's birthday! She turned the big 2! We didn't do much for her birthday except bake a cake because it was Sunday and there was a hurricane warning all day, so not too exciting, but look at those faces! Are they just the cutest or what?! Oliver was helping her blow out her candles.
And I couldn't help but put this picture in because I thought it was just cute. Oliver is talking to Grammie and Grandpa on the phone and I think they were telling jokes. It's hard to have family far away, but it's nice that he is getting old enough to talk on the phone!
Well that's my little update. Hope everyone had a great Labor Day weekend!

3 comments:

Greg said...

Camping looks like a lot of fun. I'm sure Oliver had a great time at school. I guess at least he didn't just say "stuff" in answer to how his day went. Too bad Ruby won't remember the hurricane for her birthday . . . that makes it pretty memorable!

Sarah said...

Looks like you had fun camping! I just took a bunch of my parents gear, I think we are going to try it next weekend. Lee really wants to hike the Appalachian trail one day, so I told him we had to start small with a one night camp out. Can't believe Oliver is in school!!

Amber said...

I think it's funny you call Oliver a wimp...but at atleast he did it! And man, Camp Joseph would have been fun. Though I doubt we would have gone..with a newby and all.