Tuesday, February 17, 2009

R.I.P. Mr. Binks


Our house is on a binky bann. I took Oliver to the Dr. last week and he said his teeth were starting to move because of his binky. GASP!! Well the last thing I want is a buck tooth funny smiling baby, so therefore the binky had to go. Of course I had thought about this problem over a year ago, but if there is one thing that Oliver loves, it's his "binks." So month after month we whimped out and the binky remained apart of our daily lives. I know Oliver really loved it, but honestly I have to say it was a favorite of mine as well. He could go from cranky to happy with one pop of the binky in his mouth, it was a wonderous thing. We knew it was going to be hard and probably ugly. He was hooked, I mean really hooked on binky. It's like ripping away your child's best friend with no toddler worthy reasons. But it had to be done. So I thought I would try the old snip a little bit off at a time method. This was a total bust. It was like chopping off your favorite stuffed animals head and then giving it back to him as if nothing was wrong. He wanted no part of it. And so our efforts went from gradual wheening to cold turkey good bye. And just like that the binky was gone from our lives forever. (Or at least until the next kid.) Of course it did not go that smoothly, there were many tears for 2 days, we were geared up for a real fight. But after 2 days, it was over!! I was astonished! Could it be so easy? It didn't seem possible. We waited for a few days to congradulate ourselves in case it was all a sick joke and the binky loving child immurged, but it didn't happen. He is over it. Sometimes at nap time he has a hard time falling asleep, but otherwise, it's been pretty amazing. So I have to say R.I.P. binky friend. You will be missed, but apparently quickly forgotten. We hope you find a good home at the recycle center to which you have gone. Goodbye old friend, thanks for the good times we shared!

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Ok, ok, you have given me hope.... Mid-March- aka Spring Break.... we can't wait!!!

Greg said...

Sounds like you got off easy on that one. Some of us have a hard time giving up on our baby items . . .

Scrappy said...

Good for you guys!
Our first had his until he was three. Our second, until he was 2. Our third, well, he still has his. He is 2 and a half. Ugh! I do not want to take it away because naps promptly ended after the older two stopped using a pacifier. That and the fact that it keeps him quiet during sacrament meeting where I sit alone with the boys. It really helps to be able to stick that pacifier in his mouth if he starts to get antsy.
Anyway, you guys are awesome! I will take the leap someday...

Zack, Shannon and Oliver said...

Well binks is gone and we are happy even if it did take us 2 1/2 years! But I'm sure I will miss it in times when I want Oliver to cork it like church or in the car. Otherwise, so far so good.

chloe said...

I've decided from watching my nieces and nephews go through this that the loss of the binky is generally harder for the parents than it is for the child. Um, recycle center? And I'll let you know as soon as I know my New York dates.

Jenn said...

Wow--congrats on the binkie!! Any advice on how to amputate a thumb?? Kate's teeth are really messed, but I have no clue how to get her to stop sucking her thumb! Sigh. Welcome back to blogging, too! I missed you!