Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Why me?

I just had to sit on the back row. Sure everyone tells you to sit on the front row because you will pay better attention and get more out of the class, but no- I had to sit in the back. Now I wish I had sat in the front. It was my first week back in Relief Society after basically a 2 year reprieve in Young Women's. Oliver was fussy so I thought I would sit in the back and he could play on the floor. Dream on! All he wanted to do was crawl up to the cart with the hymn books and bang on it. So there I am sitting in the back row minding my own business, I look over and BAM!!!!! Lady nursing her baby. No cover up, not even trying to be modest about it. The doors to the classroom are totally open with all the men loitering out in the hall waiting for their classroom. I was shocked. But she is kind of a strange lady anyway so I just ignored it. Then a while later I look that way again and what?? Now she is changing her baby's diaper right there on her lap!! What in the world? Then the girl next to me just starts nursing her baby! (again with no cover up.) What is going on here? Doesn't anyone know where the Mother's Lounge is???? Is it that hard to get up? I mean even if they would just cover up or something that would be okay I guess. Am I just being sensitive or is this just crazy? I mean the person next to diaper lady is trying to make this spiritual point and there she is changing her baby's diaper, which frankly no one wants to see. I mean what is going on here? And the woman nursing next to me, the baby is slurping so loud I can hardly hear the teacher! Needless to say, I will not be sitting on the back row anymore and it made me miss Young Women's!

8 comments:

Megan and John said...

So funny, Shanner! I loved your Sabbath Day experience! :) No, I don't think that you're crazy to want less boobage and diaper reek-age (sp?). Maybe if there wasn't a mother's lounge like 20 feet away!! So, I guess there must have been one doozey of a lesson to keep everyone glued to their seats, eh? Oh, how I long for the days of Relief Society again... (I am in the world of Young Women also...)

chloe said...

Oh my gosh!!! Unbelievable! There was a nursing mom at the movie last night...Harry Potter...at 10:00 at night...no cover up.

Seriously, what are people thinking!

You might want to suggest a lesson in etiquette for your next "Presidency" Sunday. Yikes!

Love the pics, by the way.

Zack, Shannon and Oliver said...

Megan, you should enjoy your young women days. Apparently this is what Relief Society has to offer and it's scary!!

Cristin said...

Those women sound like "lactavists." Anyway, I used to always wish I could nurse during Relief Society because then I could listen to the lesson. There were other women that did it, but they were always really sly about it and their babies could handle being covered up with a blanket. Luke would always pull the blanket off me.

Cristin said...

Oh, one more comment for Chloe - I nursed Luke during a movie once with no blanket, but I figured it was too dark for anyone to see anything. You could see that women nursing even in the dark?

Give Mease a chance said...

so the surprises in RS? That is so totally panama style. Ive never seen so many exposed breasts in my life. Your blog came to me at just the right time. I was just begining to wonder if said feedings were indeed acceptable in this day and age.

Peter said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sarah said...

Those ladies are just plain weird. Thank goodness the nurser/diaper changer moved away. Guess it's the front for us from now on. Great- now we'll be called on to say the prayer each week.....