Friday, October 26, 2012

A Haunting We did go....

It has been a BUSY week around our house.  (Well at least for me, not necessarily for the kids.)  This month has been my month to teach sharing time in Primary so I had that.  Plus I was helping plan the Halloween Activity for church and made the poster for that.  Then I also needed to make Oliver's skeleton costume for Halloween which I then realized that he needed for the Church party as well, so that was a week sooner than I had been planning on.  And THEN- I was planning on just buying a witch costume for Ruby, but in the end the one I liked was $30 instead of $10 like I thought it would be on sale, so at the last minute I had to make her something as well!  WHEW!!  Mix all that with setting up and preparing for the activity and that makes a double WHEW! for me, and some late nights for kids and Mom alike.

(Yes, August looks ridiculous in this clown costume that is too small for him, but who can resist?)

But in the end, it all got done in time, and the kids looked cute and had fun so I guess that's what's important.  But when I crawled in bed Wednesday night I was exhausted!!  

Oliver chose a skeleton this year which I was excited that he wanted to be something classic Halloween instead of a superhero or something.  I figured I could put something together easy enough.  I found a skeleton bones pattern online I printed off and then used white felt and cut it out.  Of course I thought it would look cute with hand stitching all around it which is why it took me so long to hand stitch around all the pieces.  Hmmm.....Good idea?  Maybe not, but once you start you have to finish......so....

But I think it turned out cute. 

Now Ruby, of course I was in crunch time, I had 2 days, but once I got the creative juices flowing, I decided if I was going to make a dress I wanted it to be one she could wear after and not just for 2 nights, so I made a  "witch" dress with a ghost pocket that I can just unstitch after Halloween and maybe do something Christmas on it to extend it's life.  Yep, that's the frugal in me!  ha, ha.  But I think it turned out cute, and Ruby LOVED it.  

Here's a detail of the pocket with some fabric flowers and spooky buttons.

But for some reason I just couldn't stop at the dress, (believe me, after I was half way into it, I kept wondering why I thought I should do it?) so I made a cape as well.  I mean witches need a cape right?  And Ruby picked out the witch hat at the store with bright green hair!  I love it!  I added a few little fabric flowers to doll it up a little.  Oh yeah, and don't forget the purple broomstick she picked out as well, what a diva!  I think it turned out pretty cute seeing as it all came together in 2 days with no patterns and just flying by the seat of my pants!  ha, ha, ha  
As for August, he sort of got ignored this round.  I had some old Halloween costumes that someone gave me when Oliver was born, but I'd never used because they weren't the right size so I tried the only one that wasn't roasty toasty since it was like 80 degrees the other night, I just couldn't put him in some fleecey  type thing.  I don't think I have every experienced such a warm Halloween!  I mean, I was wearing shorts and flip flops!  Crazy!  So ill fitted clown costume it was.  So ridiculous!  The legs went up to his knees and he looked like he was going to burst out of it all night!  ha, ha.  He's sort of a ginorma-baby!

To make up for it, I dressed him in his pumpkin outfit and took some pictures of him the next day.  What a face, I love that boy!

I mean seriously, don't you just want to kiss that face?

There's the 2 teeth smile!

Ruby needed in on the action!

"What do you mean I can't eat all that candy?"


I didn't get many pictures at the party since I was holding a really tired baby most of the time since Zack was helping the YM with the spook alley.

but, games were played, cupcakes were eaten, truck or treating was had, and a haunting we did go!

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Very cute, great job. I can't believe you hand stitched all of that! You are amazing! I love homemade Halloween costumes

Greg said...

Nice work on the costumes - they look great! I hope they got a good candy haul.

Amber said...

Awesome job on the costumes! what a crazy time for you! I opted for super easy costumes! your kids are so cute!

llcall said...

I knew you made that cute dress for Addison, but I had no idea you were such a domestic goddess/expert seamstress! Way to go, Shan!