Friday, October 9, 2009

Kolob Street


Lately Oliver has been picking out words in our reading that he doesn't know the meaning of and asking what they mean. Which can sometimes be tricky to answer because it's hard to explain the meaning of say: simple, galaxy, unruly, etc.... Those seem simple to explain, and maybe they are to some people, but when you actually try and do it with a 3 yr old, it gets kind of complicated. And it also leads to a lot more questions and then it sort of snowballs and ends with me saying, "ok, we just need to finish the story." Anyway, he has also been picking up words from music that we listen to or that I sing to him and asking what they mean. (It amazes me that he can do this first of all because I am notorious for getting music lyrics wrong, just ask Zack. I have many embarrassing stories of when I thought a song said one thing and well, I was WAY off.) So today I was singing songs to him before nap time and I was singing If You Could High To Kolob (hey, I'm sick of twinkle, twinkle, little star) and Oliver asked what Kolob was. Hmmm.....how to explain this. I said it's where God lives. He said, "like in heaven?" I said, "well heaven is a big place and God lives in heaven in Kolob." I could see this was confusing. It's like explaining we live in the United States and Massachusetts and Craziville, it's complicated to the 3 yr old mind. So I explained it's like we live in Craziville, but we also live on Psycho Street in Craziville. So I explained that God lives in Heaven which is a big place and he also lives on Kolob Street. (Yeah, I know, not entirely true, but hey do we really know how it works? I know I don't.) So Oliver said, "Does God live with the Angels on Kolob street?" I said, "Yes." Then Oliver said, "Does God drive an angel car?" Hmmmm....does God drive an angel car? I don't really know, but it was funny none the less. I told him that maybe God drives an angel car, I don't really know. He seemed pleased with that, I'm sure in his mind he is imagining God riding around on Kolob Street in some hot rod car! Hey, it makes heaven sound kind of fun doesn't it?! I guess I need to work on my gospel teaching skills!

3 comments:

Jenn said...

LOL, what a bright, curious mind he has! Kate wanted me to detach her legs because her Polly Pockets can do it...she hasn't been seeking such profound answers just yet. I wouldn't know how the heck to answer them if she did! I loved your answers. Thanks for the post. :)

Greg said...

I'm still laughing about God driving a hot rod. Thanks for posting a picture - it's fun to see those two!

Sarah said...

That is awesome!! I love that song too, but would have no idea the tune OR the words. Kolob street is priceless. Glad to see that he's actually laying down by his sister. Did you bribe him? hahaha